Banner Image

Office of International Education (OIE) / Ellen F. Chapin House

Location: 717 Chapin St.
Built: 1897
Named: for Ellen Field Chapin, sister of the wife of Aaron Lucius Chapin (Beloit's first president), who resided there. It was best known for Ellen Chapin, Aaron L. Chapin's daughter who resided there until 1943 when the college took it over. Now it is called the Office of International Education (OIE).
Uses: Originally a residence for Ellen F. Chapin's aunt, Ellen Field, then for Ellen Chapin herself. In 1943 became a residence for seniors on campus. In 1969 it served as the Alumni House, and at various points the home for Beloit College's chaplain, then vice presidents and their wives. Currently it is the Office of International Education.